Welcome!

Welcome to Corey's Health and Fitness Diary! On this blog, you might find interesting commentaries on health and fitness from my many diary entries on the subjects. It should be noted, however, that I'm not an expert on health and fitness, just an average Joe trying to live a healthy life. If expert advice is your goal, please consult your physician, nutritionist, weight trainer, or appropriate expert.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Illuminating health article in Time

I usually don't buy Time Magazine; the news analysis is usually not that good, like most mainstream publications. But the other day when perusing the checkout aisle selection at the supermarket, I noticed the article "Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin," by John Cloud, and after skimming the first few paragraphs, I couldn't resist buying it. Cloud argues that moderate exercise, including any sort of "movement" (walking to work, climbing stairs, gardening, etc.) is undoubtedly good for the body. But he also argues that exercise is not a good prescription for losing weight. What health care workers need to focus on more is diet. Studies suggest that many people who are on strenuous exercise programs overcompensate after a workout, because they are hungry, by consuming more calories than they expend through exercise. The body has evolved to do this, he argues. Obese people would be much more successful if the focus is on food choices.

These conclusions are exactly right, I believe. This accords with my experience and with others I know. I've been exercising for over 2 years now, and while I'll continue for its healthful benefits, I've been most successful losing weight when focusing on my diet and having the will power to restrict my caloric intake.

Take a look at the article if you get the chance. It documents some important studies and is nuanced in its position.

No comments: