Welcome!

Welcome to Corey's Health and Fitness Diary! On this blog, you might find interesting commentaries on health and fitness from my many diary entries on the subjects. It should be noted, however, that I'm not an expert on health and fitness, just an average Joe trying to live a healthy life. If expert advice is your goal, please consult your physician, nutritionist, weight trainer, or appropriate expert.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Where to find the worst health advice

I'm convinced that the worst place to look for health advice is in the supermarket checkout lanes. Today when I was at the supermarket, I noticed amidst the tabloids a women's magazine called First for Women that looked very stylish and for that reason somewhat credible as a health magazine. But the top story told me everything: Lose 16 pounds in 4 days! I first wondered why anybody would want that goal. I can see being impatient, but what's the point in losing 16 pounds that quickly? Am I missing something? My second thought was that such a goal was either extremely unhealthy or illusory. I would imagine that almost all of that weight would be water weight; otherwise, the advice is extremely unhealthy. It's amazing that such mags can bill themselves as health magazines!

No comments: