Welcome!

Welcome to Corey's Health and Fitness Diary! On this blog, you might find interesting commentaries on health and fitness from my many diary entries on the subjects. It should be noted, however, that I'm not an expert on health and fitness, just an average Joe trying to live a healthy life. If expert advice is your goal, please consult your physician, nutritionist, weight trainer, or appropriate expert.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Listening to our bodies

A few blog posts ago I wrote on avoiding injury when exercising and offered some of my own tips. I happened to read an interesting article on a NY Times blog ("That Little Voice Inside that Twinge", by Gina Kolata) that speaks to the difficulty of "listening to your body." I thought it was pretty good and so posted it here.

My only real concern with the article involves its exclusive focus on long-distance running and marathon running. At the risk of annoying my many marathon-running friends, I wonder if long-distance running is more prone than other exercise routines to causing short-term and long-term injury. Not that people shouldn't run long-distance or do marathons - I do think people have different motivations and goals. Personally I've avoided running altogether due to worry that it causes knee problems and because there are healthy alternatives.

No comments: