Welcome!

Welcome to Corey's Health and Fitness Diary! On this blog, you might find interesting commentaries on health and fitness from my many diary entries on the subjects. It should be noted, however, that I'm not an expert on health and fitness, just an average Joe trying to live a healthy life. If expert advice is your goal, please consult your physician, nutritionist, weight trainer, or appropriate expert.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Car-free living diary

I'm believe very fervently that the automobile has degraded our lives, and our health, and that the more we can divorce ourselves from its use, the better our lives will become. The car not only pollutes the environment, directly impacting the health of our lungs, it also makes us lazy, reducing the amount of exercise we get in a day. Also, driving cars is aesthetically unappealing. By walking or riding bicycles, we are much more likely to enjoy our surroundings, take notice of the beauty around us or complain if it is unattractive (I'm thinking here of the terrible monotony of strip-mall, highways underpasses, the concrete jungle that largely gets ignored speeding down the street with the stereo cranked up). For me, it a quality of life issue, for which reason I'm going to record the number of car miles driven per month with the goal of decreasing my car usage. Eventually I'll record my bike miles as well. Just so you know, however, my car use might increase slightly in the months ahead as we head into winter and increase my regional Illinois activism.

August miles: 175 miles (record)

No comments: