Welcome!

Welcome to Corey's Health and Fitness Diary! On this blog, you might find interesting commentaries on health and fitness from my many diary entries on the subjects. It should be noted, however, that I'm not an expert on health and fitness, just an average Joe trying to live a healthy life. If expert advice is your goal, please consult your physician, nutritionist, weight trainer, or appropriate expert.

Monday, June 22, 2009

A bread that has turned me into a believer - In healthy bread, that is

Today all the rage is whole grain bread. A few years ago I first read about importance of eating whole grains in the book that popularized the South Beach diet, and soon after, I was surprised to see that every food company out there was touting its food as whole grain - from Cheerios to Captain Crunch. Of course I suspected foul play. Sure enough, a food expert I trust, Michael Pollen, says that the vast majority of these claims are bogus. All it takes is to throw in a few grains, or sprinkle some whole grains on top of a loaf of bread, for the food to qualify as whole grain. Apparently, like everything in capitalist America, the industry isn't regulated. As Michael Pollen says, to eat healthily, don't eat advertised foods.

Against Pollen's advice, though, I have to make a plug for a bread company whose bread I found in my local health food store and which does make bread that is truly whole grain. The company, Food for Life, and one of its products - Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain - is made from sprouted organic grains and contains absolutely no flour! Being flourless, and therefore unprocessed, this bread is extremely nutritious: extremely high in protein (with all 9 essential amino acids, and 18 in all), low on the glycemic index, and high in fiber. But, I'm sure you are asking, how does it taste? My wife was extremely skeptical on this point, saying that any nutritious bread must taste like cardboard. However, Ezekiel 4:9 is very good tasting, I would say better tasting than popular mainstream breads. And it is available in practically every supermarket; besides our health food stores, I've found it at Schnucks and Kroger's. The only aspect about the bread that leaves me wondering is how it is possible to trademark a biblical verse, and what Christians would think about that!

No comments: